- Auckland +64 9 358 2555PwC Tower 188, Quay Street
- Wellington +64 4 499 4242State Insurance Tower, 1 Willis Street
- Christchurch +64 3 379 174783 Victoria Street
We have a particular focus on providing legal and strategic advice to our clients.
- The Crown on contemporary Māori law issues (including law reform such as the review of the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004) and the historical Treaty of Waitangi settlement process and negotiations
- Local authorities on working with Māori in light of their statutory obligations under local government legislation, the Resource Management Act 1991 and other legislation
- A range of private and commercial entities on particular legal obligations they have to Māori and how they can build positive working relationships to resolve Māori law issues.
Buddle Findlay is proud to announce that it has entered into a partnership with the Māori Law Review. The Māori Law Review is a monthly review of legal developments affecting Māori.
Buddle Findlay is pleased to be able to assist the Māori Law Review to increase reporting and analysis of legal developments affecting Māori. The Māori Law Review covers a broad range of legal issues and its team of contributing authors and consultant editors provide expert commentary to subscribers.
More information about the Māori Law Review is available on its website.
- Being part of the core Crown negotiating team assisting in redress design and drafting for significant Treaty of Waitangi settlements (specialising in co-governance) such as:
- the Tūhoe settlement (including over Te Urewera national park)
- the current Whanganui River negotiations
- the Waikato River settlement
- the Rangitaiki and Kaituna River settlements
- the Whirinaki Te Pua-a-Tane conservation park arrangements
- the Te Tau Ihu settlement (8 iwi in the top of the South Island)
- the Te Hiku settlement (5 iwi in the top of the North Island)
- Advising Auckland Council on its legal obligations to Māori (and the implementation of those obligations) including in relation to the Tāmaki Collective maunga settlement
- Advising the Crown on the marine and coastal area law reform including negotiations with Māori under the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004 and the repeal and replacement of that Act
- Advising a range of commercial entities on Māori law issues including in relation to Māori land (for example, under Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993 and the Treaty of Waitangi Act 1975)