Adam specialises in debt financing, derivatives, general banking law advisory work, and commercial contracts. Before joining Buddle Findlay, Adam worked in one of New Zealand’s other leading national law firms, and prior to that in London at Linklaters, one of the world's leading law firms.
Adam’s debt financing work includes both bonds and loans, ranging from plain vanilla debt to highly complex credit-linked and fund-linked notes. He has also used the in-depth knowledge of derivatives he acquired in London (where he represented Linklaters on various ISDA committees) to build a substantial New Zealand derivatives practice, focusing on both over-the-counter and exchange-traded derivatives. Adam was part of the team that worked with the New Zealand Financial Markets Association to update and publish New Zealand's template ISDA Master Agreement, user guide, and other OTC derivatives documentation.
Adam’s commercial contracts work includes a wide range of commercial contracts, but with a particular focus on information technology contracts.
Recent work includes:
- Advising Local Government New Zealand on the development of the Local Government Funding Agency structure
- Advising Westpac New Zealand on the establishment of its first ISDA Master Agreements and Credit Support Annexes
- Advising Manukau City Council on its NZ$90m, NZ$100m, and NZ$250m retail bond issues
- Advising Tauranga City Council on its NZ$30m retail bond issue (the first retail bond issue utilising the new Securities Act provisions for local authorities)
- Advising a Westpac-led banking syndicate on the NZ$300m syndicated financing of Silver Fern Farms (formerly PPCS)
- Advising Cargill on its financing of the Spring Creek Mining Company (an incorporated joint venture between Cargill and Solid Energy)
- Advising BP Asia on the establishment of its emissions trading unit derivatives documentation suite
- Advising Department of Corrections on the contract for the private management of Mt Eden Auckland Central Remand Prison
- Advising Inland Revenue on the contract for the enterprise-wide provision of computer desktop applications
- Advising Ministry of Economic Development on its RFP for partners for the Government's Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative
- Advising Wellington City Council on the contract for the full outsourcing of its facilities maintenance operations
- BCA, LLB Victoria University of Wellington