Steve has a broad corporate and commercial practice with a focus on the energy, climate change and technology sectors.
He advises on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, construction contracts, outsourcing, procurement, and general corporate and commercial matters. His clients include listed and large unlisted companies, government departments and other Crown entities.
Steve is a member of the Institute of Directors and the Institute of IT Professionals, and a director of Lawtech Services Limited.
Recent work includes:
- Advising Contact Energy on the $63m sale of its gas metering business to Vector (subject to Commerce Commission approval)
- Advising Boulcott Hospital on its sale to Australian private equity firm Evolution Healthcare
- Advising New Zealand Post on the sale of its logistics software subsidiary ECN to Australian based B2BE
- Advising the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade on the contract for construction of its Bamyan solar generation project
- Advising Landcorp Farming on its joint venture and farm management arrangements with Pengxin in relation to the Crafar farms
- Advising Landcorp Farming on the merger of its genetics business with Rissington Breedline using a limited partnership (focusgenetics.com)
- Advising the NZTA on its Business Continuity Programme with Unisys (IT project of the year, 2012 ITEX Computerworld Awards)
- Advising the Department of Internal Affairs on its partnering arrangement with New Zealand Post to expand the igovt online identity verification service to the private sector (realme.govt.nz)
- Advising New Zealand Post Group (including Datam) on a range of matters including the establishment of Localist (localist.co.nz) and adoption of Google Apps
- Advising a consortium of Infratil and Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation Fund on petroleum supply agreements in relation to the acquisition of Shell New Zealand
- Advising CO2 Group, an ASX listed entity, on its carbon forestry limited partnership with CNI iwi interests (co2newzealand.co.nz)
- Advising on emissions trading (including ISDA and bespoke forms)
- Advising Toyota New Zealand on all corporate and commercial matters
- Advising Treasury’s Export Credit Office on trade credit guarantees
- Advising Rugby New Zealand 2011 on a range of matters relating to the 2011 Rugby World Cup, including ICT contracts, hosting of matches and teams, and ticketing
- LLB University of Otago
- LLM University of New South Wales, Australia