Susie specialises in competition, fair trading, overseas investment consents and economic regulation, particularly of infrastructure industries.
Susie regularly acts for clients when they engage with the Commerce Commission and Overseas Investment Office. She advises regulators and government departments including the Electricity Authority and the Ministry of Health.
Susie’s recent work includes:
- Acting for Wellington International Airport on the Commerce Commission’s investigation of duty free services at the airport
- Acting for Manawatu Waste in successfully opposing the granting of clearance for Transpacific Industries to acquire certain assets of Enviro Waste Services
- Acting for Abano Healthcare on its successful clearance application to merge with Sonic Healthcare (New Zealand) in the Wellington region
- Obtaining clearance under the Commerce Act for Contact Energy to acquire the Taranaki Combined Cycle generation plant
- Advising the Electricity Commission on Transpower's North Island Grid Upgrade proposal, Otahuhu Substation Diversity proposal, and HVDC proposal
- Appearing for the Electricity Commission in the High Court and Court of Appeal in relation to a judicial review of the Commission’s Otahuhu decision by the Major Electricity Users’ Group (the Commission’s decision was upheld)
- Advising Suntory on the Commerce Act and Overseas Investment Act implications of its NZ$1.4b acquisition of Frucor Beverages
- Advising ITOCHU and Daiken on the Commerce Act and Overseas Investment Act implications of Daiken New Zealand’s acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s Rangiora MDF Plant
- Acting for The Marketplace Company and Efficient Market Services on the proposal by the Minister of Commerce to make the Unlisted securities trading facility subject to section 36B of the Securities Markets Act 1988
- LLB (Hons), BCA Victoria University of Wellington