We have a leading health law team with specialist lawyers who have spent many years working with, and in, the health sector. Our expertise in this sector is unmatched by any other major firm.
We are committed to supporting health sector organisations to manage the vast array of legal issues that they face. Our thorough understanding of our clients' legal obligations, the structure of the health sector, and the pressures and constraints facing our clients, means that our advice is relevant, practical, cost-effective, strategic and timely.
Our broad range of health sector clients includes:
- Public entities, including DHBs across New Zealand, the Ministry of Health, NZ Health Partnerships, Crown entities (such as the New Zealand Blood Service, Health Quality and Safety Commission, Health Promotion Agency and Pharmac) and Primary Health Organisations
- Private providers such as aged care providers, community care providers, and private hospitals
- Registration authorities such as the Medical Council and professional colleges such as the Royal College of General Practitioners
- Non-Government Organisations, including charities providing health services.
We regularly advise on matters relating to:
- The provision of health services including the management of patient complaints, adverse events, and investigations or inquiries, and issues relating to competence, consent, and refusal (including assisting with court applications for treatment or other personal orders)
- The regulation, management and governance of health services, funding contracts and procurement, and public law issues (including ensuring robust decision-making)
- Health information management, including the collection, use and disclosure of information, privacy complaints, and compliance obligations relevant to new technologies and systems.
Within our employment, property, commercial and competition teams, we have experts who work extensively with our health sector clients.
Appearing for a range of health sector and other clients in coronial inquiriesincluding the high profile Carterton Balloon Inquest
Assisting a District Health Boardin responding to provisional breach findings issued by the Health and Disability Commissioner, and successfully advocating for a final finding of no breach
Obtaining treatment orders and orders for living arrangements
under the Protection of Property and Personal Rights Act