Applications for the 2018
venture further summer clerk programme
have now closed.
What happens after I apply?
If we think the fit is right we will contact you for an interview with our recruitment team, which includes partners and other senior legal staff. You'll also be invited to attend a function at our offices, so you get a chance to meet more Buddle Findlay people and get to know the firm better.
If you're successful, and you choose to spend your summer with us, you'll join us from November 2018 to February 2019.
Your tailored induction includes interactive team activities, technology training and professional development.
You’ll then immerse yourself in two different practice areas and become involved in client facing work. As a summer clerk you will also enjoy plenty of networking opportunities, sporting events and social activities.
So get ready to start your journey, and imagine the possibilities!
Your cover letter is important. It should pinpoint why you 'stand out from the crowd'.
Remember, applications close Thursday 5 April at midday.
Key dates for 2018
To assist with each step along the way we have outlined key dates below.
|Pre-interview function||Christchurch: 10 May|
|Interviews||Auckland: 1 - 3 May
Wellington: 2 - 4 May
Christchurch: 11 May
|Interview functions||Auckland: 3 May
Wellington: 3 May
|Offer functions||Auckland: 24 May
Wellington: 23 May
Christchurch: 21 May
For more information contact:
Human Resources Manager
Be enthusiastic, tell us why Buddle Findlay is the best match for you.
This is also an opportunity for you to get to know us.
Being invited to attend an interview can be an exciting yet daunting experience no matter how many interviews you may have attended. So, it pays to remember that for us, the interview is not about putting you on the spot but more of an opportunity to get to know you and for you to get to know us. To guide you through the interview process you will have a dedicated buddy and access to other law clerks, solicitors, the HR and recruitment team who can answer any questions you may have.
What to expect
We want you to be at your very best for the interview, so you'll be greeted by your buddy and a member of our HR and recruitment team. We'll give you a tour of the office so you can picture yourself working from day one. You'll have a chance to meet some members of the team and find out what life is like behind the scenes. It's an important decision for you so we want you to be well informed.
Relax and be yourself. We already like you.
- Relax - You've made it to the interview because we see real potential in you. Be yourself - the authentic you is who we would like to see!
- Research - Know who we are, what we do and who we do it with. The more you know about us, the more confident you'll feel. Don’t worry if you don't know what area of law you want to practise in; there are plenty of graduates who are undecided until they get some real experience.
- Tell us about you - Share some of your key attributes (such as skills, personal qualities etc). Everyone has a great story they can share. What's yours?
- Arrive early - Soak up the environment and get into the interview zone.
- Turn the tables - Remember, you're interviewing us too, don't be shy if you have any questions about working at Buddle Findlay.
- Be enthusiastic - Tell us why Buddle Findlay is the best match for you.
- Body language - A firm hand shake, good eye contact and positive body language will go a long way.
- Dress to impress - You only have one chance to make a great first impression. Think 'corporate'.
Everyone has a great story they can share. What's yours?
Here are some typical interview questions we may ask you:
- Tell us about yourself
- What are your personal and professional goals?
- How do you measure your success?
- Why did you choose law?
- What are the areas of law that interest you and why?
- Why do you think you would be a good fit for Buddle Findlay?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What do you enjoy doing outside of studying?