We believe a law firm's best
asset is its people.
Summer Clerk 2001
David specialises in commercial litigation and has extensive experience in resolving banking and finance, insolvency, construction, property, professional negligence and contractual disputes. David advises and acts for financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, insurers, public bodies and private and corporate clients.
Summer Clerk 1996
Susan specialises in commercial litigation, local government, insurance and employment law.
Susan currently advises clients on a range of litigation issues arising in relation to the Canterbury rebuild.
Senior Associate 2017
Summer Clerk 2005
Bridie specialises in a broad range of litigation matters across various jurisdictions. She advises on contractual disputes, insolvency and credit recovery, securities enforcement, property law disputes, negligence and professional negligence claims.
Senior Associate 2017
Summer Clerk 2006
Brannavan specialises in property law.
He has been involved in large-scale property acquisitions and the negotiation of easements, licences, leases, and sale and purchase agreements.
Senior Solicitor 2017
Summer Clerk 2009
Leigh is a member of the Auckland litigation, resource management and local government teams.
She has experience in assisting clients with resource consent, designations and district and regional planning issues.
Senior Solicitor 2017
Summer Clerk 2010
Shaun is a member of the Christchurch litigation team.
He assists with general civil disputes, employment disputes, and local government matters.
/ The opportunity
We believe a law firm's best asset is its people. So we're on the lookout for talented and highly motivated individuals who are ready to make an impression in the world of corporate and commercial law.
Being a summer clerk with Buddle Findlay is an incredible launch pad for your legal career. The work is challenging, rewarding and full of opportunities to develop not only your legal skills, but your business and communication skills as well.
We’re on the lookout for talented and highly motivated individuals who are ready to make an impresssion in the world of corporate and commercial law.
We choose our summer clerks because they're talented. We don't hide them away in a corner – you'll have the opportunity to:
- Work in a close-knit team, on interesting and challenging legal projects
- Experience different practice areas, through two rotations, to help you make up your mind as to what direction you want your career to progress
- Enjoy more one on one time with partners, so you really get to know them
- Attend client meetings and functions, so you can begin your business networking
- Be challenged by debates, deadlines and anything else we throw at you
- Be fully supported in a friendly work culture
- Have your own dedicated buddy to guide you through your journey
- Express your interest in secondment opportunities to our top tier clients.
/ Connect with our clients
Enjoy real work. As an integral part of our team, you'll get hands on experience with exciting projects for multinational corporations, major financial institutions, state-owned enterprises, national and local government bodies as well as early stage and high growth companies.
Some of the clients you could be working with:
- Christchurch City Council
- Auckland Council
- Bank of New Zealand
- ANZ Bank
- The University of Auckland
- New Zealand Post
- Contact Energy
- SKY Television
- Christchurch International Airport
- Office of Treaty Settlements
- Emirates Airline
- Zespri International
- Vend - retail web-based point-of-sale and inventory management software
- Infratil (including Wellington International Airport and NZ Bus)
- District Health Boards
- NZ Transport Agency
- Trade Me.
Recent highlights include advising on Solid Energy's voluntary administration and GE Capital's sale of its consumer finance business, deals which won Capital Markets Deal of the Year, New Zealand Deal of the Year, and International Deal of the year at the 2016 New Zealand Law Awards. The firm was also highly commended for Employer of Choice (>100 Employees).
We also advised Chevron on the sale of Chevron New Zealand to Z Energy including the sale of Chevron's interest in The New Zealand Refining Company, SKY Television on negotiation of the SANZAR television rights for 2016 to 2020 and Newell Brands on its proposed acquisition of the Sistema plastics business.
/ Great perks
You've worked hard to get this far – so once selected as a Buddle Findlay summer clerk you will be rewarded with:
- A competitive salary
- Paid Christmas leave for a well-earned break
- $1,000 corporate clothing allowance
- Buddle Findlay professional development seminars
- Loads of sporting events such as touch rugby, netball, Round the Bays and City to Surf
- An awesome Christmas function and mid-year celebration
- Regular Friday night drinks (and nibbles provided by our resident chefs / caterers)
- Comprehensive training to introduce you to the Buddle Findlay culture
- Various other social events and activities throughout the year.
/ Ready to start your career?
Being a lawyer can be hard work. Some days you’ll start work early and some days you’ll finish late. As a summer clerk, you'll experience the real day-to-day life of being a lawyer and get amongst the action. The rewards and opportunities of a career with Buddle Findlay are virtually unlimited for people who are smart and talented.
So if you're:
- Committed to a career in law
- A team player
- Academically strong
- Keen to work with and learn about our business and clients
- Great at communicating (written and spoken)
- Client focused
- Into a range of activities ie sporting, social and community
- Ready to Venture Further
we'd really like to hear from you.
/ MEET OUR 2017 RECRUITMENT TEAM
To help you prepare, we've put together a brief introduction of our recruitment team so that you know who they are and what they specialise in.