Our experienced team knows and understands New Zealand’s anti-money laundering legislation and the thinking and policy behind it. We combine that knowledge and understanding with a practical approach, for cost-effective, compliant solutions. We have been involved with the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML / CFT) from the time it was first proposed, and we have consulted with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, the Ministry of Justice and the Department of Internal Affairs throughout the implementation of the legislation in relation to Phase 1 and Phase 2.
We take pride in our reputation as progressive, well respected and solution-focused legal advisers. Our approach is to help clients achieve their business objectives, based on a clear understanding of risk, and shared decision-making.
Our team is available to assist with all aspects of AML / CFT advisory, compliance and training, including:
- Advising on the application of the AML / CFT regime to your business
- Advising on and assisting with Ministerial exemptions from the AML / CFT regime
- Advising law firms, accountants and real estate agents on the implementation of Phase 2 of the AML / CFT regime
- Appointment of an AML / CFT compliance officer (including vetting, qualification and training for the role)
- Advising on, and establishing, an appropriate AML / CFT compliance structure, including governance options and the use of a designated business group
- Interviewing for risk, and preparing a risk assessment and AML/CFT compliance programme
- Peer reviewing existing AML / CFT risk assessments and compliance programmes, as well as any other completed AML / CFT arrangements
- Providing AML / CFT training sessions and webinars
- Advising on customer due diligence (CDD), including standard, simplified and enhanced CDD
- Advising on the prescribed transaction reporting rules
- Advising on the preparation and filing of suspicious activity reports, having regard to statutory, common law and litigation privilege
- Liaising with the AML / CFT regulators.
Advising banks and other financial institutions
in relation to Phase 1
Advising New Zealand Law Society, law firms and accounting practices
on the implementation of Phase 2 of the AML / CFT regime
Advising non-bank entities
in relation to AML / CFT compliance and Ministerial exemptions