We help clients work through complex rules and requirements
We advise clients on a full range of procurement and government contracting issues. We help both public and private sector clients make sense of the different processes and requirements that influence public sector procurement, funding, and contracting decisions, including the Government Procurement Rules.
We understand the context in which the government operates
We are experts in how the government purchases goods and services, and provides funding to private sector entities, including for services provided to the public.
We help our public sector clients with the full procurement lifecycle — starting with designing a procurement method that gives the best value for money and achieves the best outcome for the client. We work through the planning, selection, management, and review options for the procurement processes.
We can give advice on the:
- Strategic elements of procurement processes
- Legal elements of procurement documents (we are extremely familiar with the Ministry of
- Business, Innovation and Employment templates)
- Relevant statutory requirements.
We work with a wide range of clients
Our public sector clients include:
- Department of Corrections
- New Zealand Post
- Department of Internal Affairs
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Ministry of Justice
- Manatū Hauora Ministry of Health
- Department of Conservation
- Crown Law
- University of Canterbury
- Massey University
- Tertiary Education Commission
- Accident Compensation Corporation
- Auckland Council
- Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand (and previously DHBs).
We also help private sector clients understand and navigate public sector procurement documents, and successfully engage in procurement processes.
We have experience with different procurement methods
We have assisted on a large number of procurements processes, both simple and complex and utilising a full range of procurement methods (including competitive dialogue processes) and resulting in a range of commercial agreements, including:
- Outcome-based agreements
- Social services commissioning
- Large scale ICT contracts
- Funding agreements.
We are experts in:
- The standards of good procurement practice that apply to public entities, including rules and guidelines issued by Cabinet, MBIE, Treasury, and the Office of the Auditor-General
- Government-specific legal requirements that need to be considered as part of procurement and contracting processes (eg the Public Finance Act, the Official Information Act, government security requirements and various Cabinet directives).
"Particularly renowned for its extensive work with central government departments."
"An in-demand practice, frequently engaged by national and local government entities and draws upon several team members' experiences of working in government."
"Their advice is always fit for purpose and they have a very strong knowledge of the sector."
District Health Boards and now Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand
We have advised District Health Boards and now Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand on a wide range of funding agreements and contracts, both at district and national level, including the commissioning and funding of primary care (GP) services, community pharmacy services, aged-care services, and adolescent dental services.
Accident Compensation Corporation
We advised Accident Compensation Corporation on its procurement processes, service design, the application of the Government Procurement Rules, its standard terms and conditions, and numerous service specifications under which it funds service providers.
Tertiary Education Commission
We advised Tertiary Education Commission on the application of the Government Procurement Rules, and its provision of funding to universities, Te Pūkenga (previously polytechnics), wānanga, private training establishments, and other tertiary education organisations.
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
We advised Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment on the establishment of a panel of providers under a syndicated contract to provide interpretation services to all eligible government agencies.
Health sector Crown entity
We advised a health sector Crown entity on whether its procurement approach for a new ICT system complied with the Government Procurement Rules, and assisted with the preparation of a national-level agreement for services.
NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi
We advised NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi on the creation of a nationwide open loop, account based, public transport payment system, including advising on the procurement documentation for market sounding, RFP, and contractual documentation with various service providers and participating local authorities.