Our team are leaders in the market
We are best known for our work on significant and technically-challenging property and real estate matters.
We collaborate with our clients' project teams and stakeholders to identify practical solutions and deliver successful outcomes.
We advise on all aspects of property and real estate law, including:
- Acquisitions, disposals and all other land-related transactions, including under the Public Works Act 1981
- Leasing, including leasing negations, documentation and management
- Property development and urban regeneration projects
- Property and real estate finance
- Due diligence projects
- Property maintenance and compliance issues
- Māori land law matters, including Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993 and the protocols associated with tikanga Māori
- Property documentation, including licences, easements, encumbrances and covenants.
We have international experience and expertise
We act for clients based in Asia and other parts of the World. We have expertise in the Overseas Investment Act, we help international clients navigate the Act's complex requirements. We have vast experience obtaining exemptions and consents with the Overseas Investment Office.
Our team can support you through property-related disputes
We have experience in property-related disputes including acting on:
- Major rent review arbitrations
- Outgoings liabilities
- Maintenance obligations for landlord's
- Disputed agreements for sale and purchase.
High-profile clients trust us
We have provided successful outcomes for the following clients:
- Auckland Light Rail
- Department of Internal Affairs
- Sky Television
- Contact Energy
- Grand Lakes Management
- Hotel Management (Featherston Street)
- Olam Food Ingredients New Zealand
- Precinct Properties
- Landcorp Farming
- Norske Skog Tasman
- Auckland Council
- Ministry of Education
- GMP Pharmaceuticals
- Generus Living Group.
"Buddle Findlay has a full-service nationwide practice offering a seasoned team of real estate practitioners and in-depth knowledge of complex property acquisitions and high-value leasing negotiations across an impressive range of sectors."
"The property team at Buddle Findlay really know their stuff. They have enormous institutional knowledge which we regularly plug into. The people in the team are knowledgeable, friendly and easy to deal with and we feel valued as a client."
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
"They provide advice based on our commercial reality, not the risk-averse law firm approach, which is good. They tailor advice to suit the client and it isn't cookie-cutter. They are very responsive, able to go above and beyond if in a tight spot, and are very thorough with legal advice."
- 'Mid-market' deal of the year at the New Zealand Law Awards 2022 – for our work acting for Hotel Management (Featherston St) as well as over 150 different unit owners, on the sale of Rydges Wellington to NZ Hotel Holdings Asset LP
Auckland Light Rail
We advise Auckland Light Rail on the property aspects of the Auckland Light Rail project. Read more here
Let's Get Wellington Moving
We advise the consortium of local authorities and the Crown on the property aspects of the Let's Get Wellington Moving project. Read more here
Auckland Council and Eke Panuku Development Auckland
We advised Auckland Council and Eke Panuku Development Auckland on the Aotea Station Over Station Development project above and adjacent to Te Wai Horotiu as part of the City Rail Link project. Read more here
Auckland Council and Auckland Transport
We advised Auckland Council and Auckland Transport on Precinct Properties' Commercial Bay development, including the disposal of QE Square and the acquisition of the subterranean title for the City Rail Link project.
We advise Contact Energy on a variety of property issues, including mitigation agreements, access licences, leases, easements, encumbrances, and negotiations with iwi.
Department of Internal Affairs
We advised the Department of Internal Affairs on the development and leaseback of a bespoke archives facility to house Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga Archives New Zealand, on the site of the old Defence House on Aitken Street in Wellington. Read more here