On 23 February 2021 the Minister of Workplace Relations and Safety released the Holidays Act Taskforce report. In his press release, the Minister accepted the Taskforce's recommendations and committed to introducing new legislation in 2022.
The Taskforce's recommendations include:
- New methodologies for holiday and leave payment calculations
- Employees should be entitled to take annual holidays in advance on a pro-rata basis
- A formula for determining whether a day is an 'otherwise working day' for the purposes of sick leave, public holidays etc
- Employees should become entitled to one day of sick leave from their first day of employment, with an additional day per month provided until entitlement is reached
- Employees should become entitled to family violence leave and bereavement leave from the outset of employment.