We take into account not only the legal aspects of an employment relationship issue, but also the practical and interpersonal factors, and our clients’ strategic goals.
Our team are skilled and proactive advocates at mediation, in the Employment Relations Authority and Employment Court, and in the civil and appellate courts. Members of our team have practised in Australia and the United Kingdom, and we regularly advise clients based off-shore.
We have excellent working relationships with the Employment Relations Service, Mediation Service, the Employment Relations Authority, Employment Court, and other employment lawyers. We also have good working relationships with key stakeholders in the employment relations field, including the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, the Council of Trade Unions and Business New Zealand. These relationships assist our clients to achieve their objectives in a cost-effective and timely way.
We help our clients achieve practical solutions to their legal problems and provide legal and strategic advice to corporate clients in both the public and private sectors, and to individuals.
We provide advice and assistance across the full range of employment issues, including:
- Design and implementation of change and restructuring processes
- Advice and representation in collective bargaining, and in other interactions with unions and collectivised workforces
- Advice to parties on mergers, acquisitions and outsourcing
- Best practice procedures for hiring employees, performance management, misconduct investigations and dismissal
- Avoidance and resolution of personal grievances, disputes and other employment relationship problems
- Protection of confidential information and intellectual property, including the enforcement of restraints of trade
- Negotiating and drafting employment agreements, contracts for services and policies
- Undertaking independent investigations into serious misconduct and other complaints
- Advice on holidays and leave, KiwiSaver and superannuation, information and privacy, accident compensation, discrimination, harassment and bullying, remuneration and medical, stress and disability issues.
"They are outstanding. They help us explore all the options and assist us in putting together a good strategy, which is invaluable in a heavily unionised environment."
Chambers and Partners
- Tier 1, Employment - Legal 500 Asia Pacific